The rules and regulations that govern the ice carving section at the Coupe du Monde de la Pâtisserie are designed to ensure that the event is fair and safe for all participants. These regulations may cover a variety of topics, including the size and shape of the ice blocks that can be used, the tools and techniques that are allowed, and any safety precautions that must be taken during the carving process. It is important for competitors to thoroughly familiarize themselves with these rules and regulations in order to successfully participate in the competition and ensure the safety of themselves and others.
Representing Team U.S.A. will be Chef Julie Eslinger, Team Captain, and Pastry Chef at the Country Club at Castle Pines in Colorado.
Competitors in the ice sculpture creation event must adhere to a set of rules. Failure to follow these rules may result in penalties being imposed on the team.
The completed ice sculpture must not exceed 40 cm in height (excluding the base) or 50 cm (including the base). The base is optional, as the sculpture can be placed on a buffet table. The maximum dimensions of the finished sculpture are 60 cm in length, 50 cm in height, and 40 cm in depth.
The sculpture must be carved from a single block of water ice with dimensions of 50 cm in length, 50 cm in width, and 25 cm in depth. The block should be sculpted to minimize waste. Of the volume of the ice carving, 70% must be created using only a gouge or ice sculpting scissors, while the remaining 30% may be created using any carving tools or a grinder (though the use of a chain saw is prohibited).
Candidates will be assigned a time slot and will have 1 hour and 30 minutes to create the sculpture, including installation and cleaning. The block of water ice will be provided to the teams by the I.O.C. on the eve of the contest day. Each team will receive a block of water ice with the same dimensions and weight.
For the water ice sculpture event, participants are required to wear appropriate boots and gloves, and a circuit breaker is also mandatory. The ice block will be sculpted in a designated area, with two of the 12 contest laboratories being adapted for ice sculpting work. Each kitchen will be divided into two sections to accommodate two participants at a time.
In addition to the requirements mentioned earlier, it is also important to note that no other display bases, including rotating bases, are allowed during the water ice sculpture event. Participants must bring their own water container of any shape and material, with a maximum height of 10 cm.
It is important to keep in mind that the ice sculpture creation must fit within the dimensions of the buffet table, which is 150 cm in diameter and 78 cm in height, along with any other artistic pieces. Teams must also be able to dismantle and move their artistic piece to the exhibition section.
It is important for participants to keep their workspace clean during the ice sculpture event, as the International Olympic Committee (I.O.C.) will take this into consideration when evaluating the final sculptures. Maintaining a clean workspace is not only important for the presentation of the sculpture, but it also ensures the safety and cleanliness of the event.
It is important to note that the water ice sculpture event does not end until the art pieces are installed in the display cases. Participants must ensure that their sculptures fit within the dimensions of the buffet table, which is 150 cm in diameter and 78 cm in height, along with any other artistic pieces. It is also crucial to remember that no other display bases, including rotating bases, are allowed during the event.
Follow Team U.S.A. (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok) and the Coupe du Monde de la Pâtisserie (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) on social media to keep up-to-date on all the latest news and activities.
Team U.S.A. is sponsored by Valrhona (Founding Sponsor), Nielsen Massey, CapFruit, Paris Gourmet, Midwest Imports, AUI Fine Foods, St. Michel, Chef Rubber, Irinox, Bit Baking, de Buyer, Robot Coupe, Tomric, The Ekus Group, Clement Designs, and Steelite USA.