In the final installment of our series – Understand the Coupe du Monde de la Pâtisserie, we will talk about the last of the artistic creation tests and the requirements surrounding the final presentation – the buffet.

Sculpted Water Ice Creation (ice carving)

The sculpted water ice creation or ice carving must be made from one single block of ice. The sculpture, as with all the other pieces, must correspond with the Climate Change theme. Each competitor will be given a 50 cm (19.6 inches) in length by 50 cm (19.6 inches) high by 25 cm (9.84 inches) thick block of ice. The block of ice will be given to each team on the eve of their tests.

Image: Coupe du Monde de la Pâtisserie/screenshot

As the organization is emphasizing creating as little waste as possible, points will be rewarded for those who create as little waste as possible with their carving.

The height of the finished ice carving can be no more than 40 cm (15.7 inches) high and 50 cm (19.6 inches) with the base. A base is not mandatory for this sculpture, but is permitted should a team choose to use one.

There is a percentage of methods each team may use to carve their block of ice. The rules state that each carver must use 70% of their techniques only using a gouge or ice sculpting scissors the remaining 30% is up to the individual carver. They can use carving tools, grinders, and other means, however the use of a chain saw is strictly forbidden.

Competitors have 90 minutes to complete the ice carving.

The I.O.C. requires the ice carver to wear appropriate clothing including boots and gloves. A circuit breaker is also required. A dedicated area, two booths at the end of the teams’ laboratories, will be provided for the competitors to carve their blocks of ice. Each of those two kitchens will be divided into two so four competitors can work at once. The carving area must be kept as clean and neat as possible, as the Jury will take this into consideration.

Image: Coupe du Monde de la Pâtisserie/screenshot

Other regulations state that no other display bases – including rotating bases, are permitted. Each team must bring a water container 10 cm (3.93 inches) in height – any shape and material. As with the other tests, the ice sculpture must fit on the display table, be in harmony with the other tests (and the theme), and be able to be moved to the exhibition area after judging.

The Buffet Display

According to the rules and regulations, the four dessert tests and three sculptures must be integrated into the buffet presentation and must be “linked together in a pleasing composition. As stated previously, after judging, all pieces will be moved to the exhibition area for the public to view.

One display table, with a tablecloth, will be set up in front of each team’s laboratory. According to each team’s time frame the artistic sugar piece, artistic chocolate piece, artistic ice sculpture, and mock creations all must be moved from the laboratory to the buffet table before their time is up. Although finishing work is permitted while the pieces are on the buffet table (within the permitted time), anything moved to the table after time has expired will result in a deduction of points.

Image: Coupe du Monde de la Pâtisserie/screenshot

No element may protrude or extend beyond the perimeter of the table and no background decorations are permitted. In addition, no electrical cords or cables can hang from the table.

Fabric, colored materials, bases, and colored tablecloths must be supplied by each team and maybe used on the table.

Certain rotating bases will be “tolerated,” however the Organizers “will not be held responsible” should something go wrong. Also, it is the responsibility of each country to insure that all necessary measures have been taken to insure these bases are safe for any persons, as well as the surroundings.